The Soul of Seattle event is more than a gathering; it's a celebration of the vibrant Black community, a feast of flavors, and a testament to the power of culinary excellence.
Pies Boards And Books is elated and deeply honored to be a part of The Soul of Seattle, contributing to the celebration of Seattle's vibrant Black culinary community. As a Black-owned business founded by a proud Seattle native, Pies Boards And Books is relatively young, yet it brings a wealth of tradition and passion to the table. Let's reflect on the history that has shaped The Soul of Seattle into what it is today and highlight some of the chefs that will be participating in this year's The Soul of Seattle.
A History of Success and Impact
Inaugural Success (2020):
The inaugural event in 2020 set the stage for what would become an annual culinary extravaganza. With 10 talented Black chefs and 5 beverage vendors, the event garnered immense support from both corporate and civilian communities. Held at the Northwest African American Museum, it attracted over 550 General Admission attendees and 100 VIP dinner guests. The event's success translated into a remarkable $300,000 raised, benefiting local Black-owned restaurants, The Rainier Scholars, and The Seattle Urban League.
Virtual Triumph (February 2021):
In 2021, faced with unique challenges, The Soul of Seattle transformed into a month-long virtual series. Live cooking demonstrations, panel discussions with national Black culinary leaders, weekly silent auctions, and curated gift boxes became the order of the day. This virtual endeavor raised an impressive $650,000, supporting over 30 Black-owned businesses and restaurants, with $100,000 dedicated to the nonprofit Mentoring Urban Students & Teens.
Crucial to TheSoul of Seattle's mission is its partnership with Northwest Harvest, leaders not only in addressing immediate food insecurity but also in combating systemic issues behind food injustice.
Get ready for a night of unparalleled fun and cool vibes at The Soul of Seattle! This event is not just a culinary celebration; it's a lively gathering that promises an unforgettable experience. From the upscale charcuterie by Pies Boards And Books to the diverse array of flavors offered by other phenomenal chefs, your taste buds are in for a treat.
Picture yourself savoring Honey's Pies, enjoying sustainably sourced wines, and mingling in the heart of downtown Seattle. With live cooking demonstrations, exquisite dishes, and a VIP dinner featuring Guest Celebrity Chef Jerome Brown, this is the ultimate culinary soirée.
Meet Some of the Culinary Maestros:
This year, an ensemble of exceptional chefs will tantalize your taste buds at The Soul of Seattle.
1. Taste of the Caribbean: A Fusion of Flavor at First Bite
- Indulge in the vibrant Jamaican culinary experience with dishes infused with Caribbean spices and flavors.
2. Baiana Pop Up Restaurant: Afro-Brazilian Street Foods
- Immerse yourself in the rich tapestry of Afro-Brazilian street foods.
3. Footprint Wine Tap: Sustainable Keg Wine on Tap
- Seattle's first and only sustainable keg wine on tap bar and shop, offering fine PNW wines and delightful food.
4. That Brown Girl Cooks! & Communion Restaurant
- Chef Kristi Brown's culinary activism builds community through fresh food and fine cooking.
5. Hot Chocolat: Artisanal Chocolate with a Twist
- Experience handcrafted chocolates based on classic French techniques with a creative twist.
6. LaShellé Wines: Boutique Winery
- A Black Female-Owned winery dedicated to offering top-quality wines in a warm and inviting setting.
7. Osteria La Spiga & La Dispensa: Authentic Italian Cuisine
- Enjoy the warmth of authentic Italian cuisine reflecting the Emilia-Romagna region.
8. Island Soul & Arleana’s: Comforting, Flavorful Dishes
- A cornerstone in the community, serving comforting, flavorful dishes while honoring a legacy.
9. Gold Coast Ghal Kitchen: West African Flavors
- An exploration of authentic West African flavors, bringing people together through the love of food.
10. Blk Pepper Catering: Southern, Creole, and Latin Inspired Cuisine
- Toni Thomas brings a passion for flavors that speak to your soul, inspired by her diverse experiences.
The VIP Dinner Experience:
This year's The Soul of Seattle takes place in the heart of downtown Seattle, promising an elevated culinary and wine experience. VIP ticket holders will savor a five-course meal curated by renowned chefs, including Guest Celebrity Chef Jerome Brown and winemaker Shae Frichette of Frichette Winery, Benton City, WA. This exclusive VIP Dinner is a rare opportunity to indulge in a gastronomic journey that transcends expectations.
The Soul of Seattle is a platform to celebrate Black excellence in the culinary world. We extend an invitation to experience the magic of culinary diversity, support a meaningful cause, and celebrate the excellence that defines Seattle's Black culinary community. Secure your spot for an evening where good food meets great purpose, and let's together make this year's event even more extraordinary than the last!